Prevention Basics, An Enhanced Prevention Learning Series
Description: This 8-session skill-building series offers a unique, interactive introduction to the field of substance misuse prevention. Participants examine the history of substance misuse prevention, key concepts, and foundational framework, the Strategic Prevention Framework, SAMHSA’s five-step, data-driven planning process. Training participants build basic knowledge and skills necessary to identify prevention priorities and develop a plan to implement and evaluate evidence-based interventions. This virtual learning series offers structured skill-based learning opportunities, individual reading and learning activities, group activities, and discussions to enhance learning application and outcomes.
By the end of the EPLS, participants will be able to:
• Define prevention
• Explain the continuum of care
• List the criteria for research-based risk factors
• Describe how the Social Development Strategy operationalizes protective factors
• Describe the five steps of the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF), including the key tasks for each
• List three essential keys to sustainability
• Explain the importance of addressing health disparities in the context of substance misuse prevention planning and implementation
• Describe how cultural humility is essential in our work in the prevention field
Date/Time: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 12:00pm – 1:30pm (HST)
Location: Online at HealtheKnowledge.org
Certificate: Participants who complete all 8 sessions will receive a certificate of attendance for 22.5 contact hours. No partial credit is given for this course. Participants will need to confirm with their certification board to determine if these certification hours are accepted towards their specific certification requirements.
Prerequisite: To register for this Enhanced Prevention Learning Series (EPLS), you must first complete the free, self-paced online course Introduction to Substance Abuse Prevention: Understanding the Basics on HealtheKnowledge.org.
Please have your certificate of completion ready to upload. You will be asked for it during the registration process.
Registration deadline: October 12, 2022. Space is limited. Register for this event here
Trainer Information: Rick Collins, MS, CPS